You should be re-directed to another page momentarily. If not, please visit https://travel.miami.edu/about/business-travel-faqs/index.html.

Travel FAQ

If you have a question not answered here, please contact Travel Management at travel@miami.edu.


Does the University of Miami receive discounted rates for airline tickets?

No, UM does not receive discounted airline tickets. However, the University does participate in business travel rewards programs: American Airlines Business ExtrAA and Delta Airlines SkyBonus.

I don’t have a University Travel Card. How can I pay for airline tickets for business travel?

If you don’t have a Travel Card, you can apply for one here, or call (305) 284-2417. If you don’t have a Travel Card and do not have enough time to apply for one, you can purchase your airline ticket and travel expenses with your own form of payment and apply for a reimbursement request. For more information on reimbursements, please click here


Who is considered an Authorized Travel Agency?

Travel agencies with an existing Business Contract with the University of Miami Travel Department. Please visit the Authorized Travel Agencies page.

How do I purchase airline tickets from an Authorized Travel Agency?

Select one of the Authorized Travel Agencies, and make your reservation with them. You will need to use the University Travel Card to pay for airline tickets and other travel expenses. If you don’t have a Travel Card, you can apply for one here, or call (305) 284-2417.  



What discounts are available through Car Rental companies?

Rate information can be found on Travel Management’s Car Rental Discounts web page. The University currently receives discounts from Budget, Dollar, Enterprise/National, Hertz, and Thrifty.

Do the negotiated car rental rates include insurance?

CAR RENTAL INSURANCE: Please be aware that the University of Miami does not provide insurance coverage for car rentals, whether Domestic or International. Unless otherwise stated, Rental Insurance is not included for either business or personal rentals.

Enterprise/National Car Rental rates include insurance for DOMESTIC BUSINESS RENTALS ONLY. For all personal rentals, and all International rentals (business or personal), the Renter is responsible for purchasing insurance separately. If the Renter does not purchase insurance for personal rentals, the Renter will be fully responsible for any damages that may occur during the rental period.

For all other listed car rental agencies, it is solely the responsibility of the Renter to purchase or provide rental insurance. If the Renter selects a car rental agency that does not include insurance and declines to purchase insurance, the Renter will be fully responsible for any damages that may occur during the rental period. For more information, please contact Travel Management at 305-284-2072.

CAR RENTAL RATES: The discounts listed on this website are for the Continental United States only. International rates are NOT discounted.


Do I need to provide any documentation before renting my vehicle?

Any UM student or employee who wants to drive a rented vehicle for UM Miami business purposes, must BE APPROVED FOR DRIVING A UM VEHICLE by the UM Risk Management Department. This is accomplished by completing a Motor Vehicle Records form (MVR). Risk Management uses this driving record to assess a driver’s eligibility



What hotels have established discounts for University of Miami employees?

Check our Hotel Discounts Listing for specific hotels, rates, and restrictions. 

Are hotel discounts also available for personal use?

Yes. The discounted hotel rates are also available for employees on personal travel, parents of students, patients at UM Hospitals, and UHealth International.

How do I receive the listed hotel discount?

Choose your desired hotel, and when making your reservation, provide the appropriate discount code (if shown), or simply request the University of Miami rate. 

What are Blackout Dates?

There are times when the negotiated rates are not available due to high occupancy (“blackout dates”). Blackout dates vary by hotel, so check your specific hotel for details.


Click for very important information on International Travel.

For Faculty, Staff, and Student insurance-related questions, please contact the office of Risk Management at (305) 284-3163.

What is the International Travel Policy?

View the International Travel Policy (Rick Management) here.

Where can I get information on other forms of payment, Travel Advances, use of other agencies, paying with personal credit cards, etc.?

For any questions related to payment forms, please contact Disbursements at (305) 284-3564.


Click here for detailed mileage information.

Click for current Per Diem rates.

What documentation do I need to provide for my Business Expense Reimbursement?

Please visit the Office of The Controllers for more information.

If I am traveling on a Sponsored Account, what do I need to do?

Contact one of the authorized Travel Agencies and request a fare that is compliant with the Fly America Act, which requires all travel on sponsored accounts be on an American domestic carrier. Ask your agent about code sharing, a common travel industry practice, where airlines purchase seats on competitor flights. Airlines have allied with one another such as the American Airlines One-World Alliance which is a partnership with British Airways, Cathay, Iberian, LAN, and Quantas. This allows travelers to earn points on partnering airlines and expands domestic carrier’s presence to benefit the Fly America Act.


Should I use my UM Travel Card to book travel for a non-UM employee or non-Travel Card holder for UM Business?

Yes. However, the cardholder will need to reconcile and provide all supporting documents in Workday to validate the transaction.