International Travel

International Travel for UM Business:

Faculty and staff traveling on University business and/or study to restricted countries that are listed on the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning list, or countries with which the United States does not have formal diplomatic relations, must do the following:

1. Complete the International Travel Authorization Form and submit it to their Vice President, Dean, or School Business Officer for approval prior to departure
2. Submit completed form to the Provost or his/her designee for approval.
3. After approval, the traveler must register travel plans with International SOS and print a copy of the UM Travel Assistance Card prior to travel.   

This information must be retained as it includes the policy number, relevant telephone information, and services at-a-glance.

For more information on how to register your itinerary on International SOS, please refer to the International SOS User Guide.


International Travel Authorization Form (For travel to restricted countries only)


THE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE CARD - Don’t Leave Home Without It!

IMPORTANT: Prior to departure for foreign travel, please print two (2) copies of this card. Put one in your wallet/purse, and one in another location.

The University of Miami provides Foreign Travel Services for faculty and employees traveling internationally on University of Miami business. The specific service provided is referred to as Travel Guard. Travel Guard provides travelers with travel assistance, and an extensive and comprehensive list of General Services comprising travel documentation assistance, obtaining replacement passports, political/environmental warnings, currency and ATM locations, global weather, emergency message, telephone translation, relocation support; Medical Services consisting of physician/dental/hospital referral, medical case monitoring, shipment of records and prescription, arranging for air ambulance, immunizations, and medical evacuation; Technical Services encompassing lost/stolen luggage and personal effects, lost/stolen travel documents/tickets, cash transfer, vehicle return, legal referral, trip interruption, and repatriation of remains. 

Prior to traveling, you may call (215) 942-8478 to obtain an up-to-date report of potential dangers associated with your travel destination, whether it be health or politically related.

The list of services provided by International SOS is extensive; we, therefore, recommend that the first course of action when you are in need of assistance is to call the number provided above.

Contact the University of Miami Risk Management Department at (305) 284-3163 if you have any questions.


In recent months, diplomatic relationships between the U.S. and Cuban governments have been in the headlines. US Government Restrictions on travel to Cuba (governed by the embargo) have been lessened due to changes in OFAC policy. We have also seen the opening of some bilateral economic changes to past policy.

Despite the actions by the US Government, UM policy on UM business-related travel to Cuba has not changed. Please be advised that such travel to Cuba remains restricted and still requires pre-approval from the Provost (Gables), from the Dean (Medical School), General Counsel and the Department of Risk Management.

Non-Restricted International Travel for UM Business

Faculty and staff traveling on University business to non-restricted countries do not need to complete the International Travel Authorization Form. However, they will need to register their travel plans with International SOS and print a copy of the UM Travel Assistance Card prior to travel. This information must be retained as it includes the policy number, relevant telephone information, and services at a glance.

The University of Miami provides a helpful tool for its employees traveling internationally on University business. The program referred to as “Foreign Travel Services”, can be accessed anywhere in the world at any time of the day or night.

International Travel - Health Advisory Information

International travel can be filled with excitement and fun, but it can also present several challenges and potential risks. These can include dealing with different cultures, political/social conflicts, and health hazards.

Please be sure to visit the Federal/International websites below for valuable information regarding potential health and safety risks when traveling abroad. If you need to get any vaccinations prior to travel, please contact the UM Employee Health Office for assistance.

Travel & Safety Tips
  • Leave a copy of your ticket, itinerary, passport at home.
  • Use business contacts for address & phone while traveling.
  • Pack lightly & research local customs & dress accordingly (avoid white tennis shoes).
  • Inform your credit card company that you will be traveling Internationally.
  • In the case of credit card theft, ensure a trusted individual at home has the appropriate information to get card re-issued.
  • Always pack a small flashlight.
  • Never leave your luggage in a rented vehicle, never sign full name on hotel receipt, and never leave receipts in the hotel room.
  • If you rent a car, make sure you have liability insurance. If you do not, this could lead to financial disaster.
  • Always “buckle up.” Some countries have penalties for people who violate this law.
  • Carry the minimum number of valuables, and plan places to conceal them.
  • Put your name, address and telephone numbers inside and outside of each piece of luggage. Use covered luggage tags to avoid casual observation of your identity or nationality. If possible, lock your luggage.