Meal Plans

What's new for Meal Plans in Fall 2022?

Quick Links: 2022-2023 Meal Plans 

Have questions? Contact Dining Services at 305-284-3584 or

FAQs: Meal Plan Information

Open All Tabs
  • Who is required to buy a meal membership?

    All first-year students who reside on campus are required to purchase an Unlimited or Weekly Meal Plan. All upper-class students who live on campus in required housing including Stanford, Mahoney, Pearson or Eaton, must purchase an Unlimited, Weekly or Residential Block Plan. Upper-class students living In Lakeside Village Suites must purchase a minimum of $250 Dining Dollars.

  • How does my meal plan work?

    Your Cane Card provides access to your meal plan at the residential dining halls and retail locations. All your swipes and Dining Dollars are loaded straight to your card. This is also what you use to enter buildings around campus and access your residence hall.

    Meal swipes are used for meals in the all-your-care-to-eat dining facilities: Mahoney Pearson and Hecht Stanford Dining Hall. Meal Swipes are also accepted at The Corner Deli (*Restrictions apply).
    Dining Dollars can be used at both dining halls or any campus dining location except for the Well 'Canes Market, Food Trucks, Brew Bike carts and snack and beverage vending machines.

  • How does a Residential Traditional Meal Plan work?

    The Unlimited, 19 and 14 meal plans indicate the number of meals a week a student can use in either of the residential dining halls or at The Corner Deli (*restrictions apply). A meal week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday at 11:59 pm. Dining Dollars are a compliment to your meal swipes, use them when you cannot make It back to the residential dining hall, or when you just want a change.

  • How does a Residential and Commuter Block plan work?

    Residential and Commuter Block Plans indicate the number of meals a semester a student can use in either of the two residential dining halls or at The Corner Deli (*restrictions apply). Unused Block Meals roll over from the fall semester to the spring semester but are forfeited at the end of the spring semester. Dining Dollars are a compliment to your meal swipes, use them when you cannot make It back to the residential dining hall, or when you just want a change.

  • What is the Lakeside Village meal plan requirement?

    Lakeside Village Suite residents are required to minimally purchase a $250 Dining Dollar plan per semester. Lakeside Village Apartment residents may choose from any of our meal plan options.
    If a Lakeside Village Suite resident selects a plan option in the Fall, they will automatically be enrolled in the same plan option in the Spring. First Year/Freshmen students residing in Lakeside Village, regardless of room type, must choose between the Unlimited, 19/Week, or 14/Week meal plan.

  • What are the Commuter/University Village Apartments meal plan options?

    Commuter Students & University Village Students may choose from any of the meal plans.

  • How does a Dining Dollar meal plan work?

    Dining Dollar Meal Plans come in increments of $250, $500, $750 and $1,000. They can be purchased by commuter students, upper-class students living in Lakeside Village or University Village. Dining Dollar Meal Plans can also be purchased as reload options for students enrolled in Residential Traditional plans; Unlimited, 19 and 14, Residential Block plans 175 and 100 as well as Commuter Block plans 50 and 15. Dining Dollar meal plans are a non-refundable purchase. Unused balances roll from fall to spring semester, all plans end with end of the academic school year.

  • What are meal swipes?

    Just one card swipe at either of our dining halls, Hecht-Stanford, or Mahoney-Pearson, will gain you access to an all-you-care-to-eat facility. Take-Out is also available at both Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney-Pearson Dining Halls. Take-Out is limited to once per meal period. Your meal swipes are also accepted at The Corner Deli (*restrictions apply).

  • What are Kosher Meal Swipes?

    Kosher meal swipes are available at The Corner Deli located inside the Shalala Student Center (*restrictions apply). Students may select from the daily meal swipe menu. Meal swipes are limited to once per meal period. Guest Swipes are not accepted at this location.

    The Corner Deli is open Monday through Thursday 10:30am – 7:00pm and Friday 10:30 am – 4:00 pm. Grab n’ Go Kosher meals are available Saturday & Sunday at The Market, located inside the Hurricane Food Court.

  • Which plan is best for me?

    We suggest thinking about your lifestyle and eating habits and then choosing a plan that fits in best with your routine. All plan options can be viewed on our website at

  • How do students purchase a meal plan?

    Registration can be completed via the university’s housing portal or by contacting the Auxiliary Services Department at

  • Can students change their meal membership?

    A meal plan can be changed during the first week of the semester without penalty. The deadline to lower your Meal Plan is the Friday of the first week of classes. There is a $40 processing fee to downgrade a meal plan in the Spring Semester.  If you are on a residential meal plan, you may upgrade your meal plan at any time; a Dining Dollar surcharge may apply should you move to a meal plan with less Dining Dollars.  If you would like to make a change to your plan, please email

  • If I purchase a Block membership and run out of meals, can I purchase more meals?

    Yes, if you have purchased a block membership in a given semester, you may elect to purchase an additonal block plan or dining dollar only plan. Note, that unused balances from Fall will roll and be made available during the Spring semester.

  • When does a meal membership become active?

    Your meal plan begins when housing becomes available, click here for the University Registrar's calendar to check semester dates.  As soon as you are moved onto campus and settled in, you can begin enjoying the perks of on-campus dining.

  • Can students utilize their membership if they have lost their Cane Card?

    We are able to collect your C-Number for entrance into the dining hall, however dining dollars cannot be used without a valid Cane Card. Lost or stolen Cane Cards should be reported to the Cane Card Office for a replacement to continue accessing your meal plan. Contact Canes Central for Cane Card replacements. 

  • Will my meal plan cancel automatically if I cancel my housing agreement?

    Cancellation of housing agreements does not automatically cancel meal plan enrollment.  Meal plan cancellations must be submitted to the Auxiliary Services Department via email

  • Can my financial aid or student loans pay for my meal plan?

    Questions regarding financial aid coverage of meal plans should be directed to the Office of Financial Assistance and Employment at

  • How do I view menus and hours of operation for each location on campus?

    Click Dine On Campus to find hours of operation and menus for each location. To view all dining locations, click the Campus Dining Map

  • What if I have special dietary needs?

    If you have food allergies, intolerances, sensitivities, and/or are in need of dietary assistance, our culinary team is trained to develop a solution to meet your needs. Reach out to the UM Dining Registered Dietician at to schedule a one-on-one meeting to discuss your specific needs. You may also subscribe to the weekly Vegan and Vegetarian menu emails, set up special accommodations and more. To learn more click here

  • Can I request an accommodation?

    Meal Plan accommodations must be requested through Office of Disabilities Services (ODS) prior to June 1st for the Fall semester and prior to December 1st for the Spring semester.

    Requests for accommodations received after the deadline will be processed for the next regular term semester.

    The student is responsible for submitting the Accommodation Request Form along with comprehensive documentation. Request forms without accompanying documentation will not be reviewed.

  • Meal Plan Contract
  • Meal Plan Payment

    Residential Meal Plan charges for the academic year post each fall and spring semester.

    Commuter Block Plans are billed to the students account upon request for enrollment.

    Meal Plan charges to your student account can be viewed in CaneLink.