Travel Management FAQs

If you have a question not answered here, please contact Travel Management at


Does the University of Miami receive discounted rates for airline tickets?

  • No. The University does participate in the following business travel rewards programs: American Airlines Business ExtrAA and Delta Airlines SkyBonus program.

I don’t have a University Travel Card. How can I pay for airline tickets for business travel?


Who is considered an Authorized Travel Agency?

  • Travel agencies with an existing Business Contract with the University of Miami Travel Department. Click here to visit the Authorized Travel Agencies page.

How can I order a ticket from an Authorized travel Agency?

  • Select one of the Authorized Travel Agencies, and make your reservation with them. You will need to use the Corporate Travel Card to purchase airline tickets and other travel expenses. Please contact the Corporate Card office at (305) 284-2417 for details. 

What is the Travel Advance Request Form (TARF)?

  • The Travel Advance Request Form is used as a form of cash or direct payment to hotels and are made available only in cases of: extended trips of more than fourteen (14) consecutive days; travel to locations where the American Express card is not accepted; foreign travel; student travel; nonexempt staff travel; travel by those who have applied for, but not yet received their corporate charge card; and unusual or special circumstances as approved by the appropriate fiscal officer or authorized account signer. See Travel Policy - Section XV

What is an Electronic Ticket (e-ticket) and how is it reported on a Business Expense Reimbursement Form?

  • An Electronic Ticket is Air travel reserved with an airline for which no paper ticket is issued. The reservation and seat assignment are secured within the airline’s computer reservation system only. The traveler must request a receipt from the travel agent or airline at the time of the booking or check-in at the airport in order to properly report the trip.


What discounts are available through Car Rental companies?

  • Rate information can be found on Travel Management’s Car Rental Discounts web page. We currently have discounts with Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, and Thrifty.

Do the negotiated car rental rates include insurance?

  • At this time, rental insurance is included for rentals from Enterprise only. The University of Miami utilizes the State of Florida’s Enterprise/National brand rental contract rates, which include the cost of insurance for business-related rentals only. Faculty and employees renting a vehicle for personal use, or from a car rental company other than Enterprise, are entitled to the contracted rates, but will be responsible for insurance coverage.

NOTE: If you have a question regarding insurance, contact Risk Management at (305) 284-3163


What hotels have established discounts for University of Miami employees?

Are the discounted rates only for business travel?

  • No. The discounted rates are also available for employees on personal travel, parents of students, patients at UM Hospitals, and UHealth International.

What are Blackout Dates?

  • There are times when the negotiated rates are not available due to high occupancy (“blackout dates”). Blackout dates vary by hotel, so check your specific hotel for details.


Click here for very important information on International Travel.

For Faculty, Staff, and Student, insurance-related questions contact Risk Management at (305) 284-3163.

In the event that I am in a foreign country and require special assistance what actions should I take?

What is the International Travel Policy?

  • Please click here to view the International Travel Approval and Authorization policy.

Where can I get information on other forms of payment, travel advances, use of other agencies, paying with personal credit cards, etc.?

  • For any questions related to payment forms, please contact Disbursements at (305) 284-3564.


What is the University’s standard mileage allowance for travel by private automobile?

What is the Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement Policy?

  • Please click here to view the Travel and Business Expense Reimbursement policy.

What is the University of Miami’s Per Diem rate for meals?

What documentation do I need to attach to my Business Expense Reimbursement Form to ensure that my eBERF is processed quickly and efficiently?

  • Please attach your boarding passes, ticket receipts, and any other receipts and documentation to validate your expenses. For more information, contact Disbursements at (305) 284-3564.

If I am traveling on a Sponsored Account, what do I need to do?

  • Contact one of the authorized Travel Agencies and request a fare that is compliant with the Fly America Act, which requires all travel on sponsored accounts be on an American domestic carrier. Ask your agent about code sharing, a common travel industry practice, where airlines purchase seats on competitor flights. Airlines have allied with one another such as the American Airlines One-World Alliancem which is a partnership with British Airways, Cathay, Iberian, LAN, and Quantas. This allows travelers to earn points on partnering airlines and expands domestic carrier’s presence to benefit the Fly America Act.